Thursday, November 29, 2007

Things that make me smile--in no particular order

1. When I go to bed at night and Myles always comes back to tuck me in a give me a kiss goodnight.

2. My dad. I've got the greatest dad on earth and we have sooo much fun together. "I'm Rick James, bitch!"

3. My mom and how she talks to herself...how she even argues with herself. It's pure comedy.

4. My little brother and seeing how much he's just like me. He loves to read, he talks too much, he gets good grades in school, he's silly...he's great!

5. My friends. I have great friends. We all have so much fun together and I feel so lucky to be able to surround myself with a second family of my choosing.

6. People who don't like me. Yes, they do make me smile. I am who I am and what I am and if I don't like it, well, you've missed out on getting to know a pretty good person, if I do say so myself. =)

7. Random, simple gifts. My best friend, Ann (Yes, her name is really Ann), is really good at this. She's one of the most thoughtful people I know. Her Christmas present to me last year was the best...a calendar where she marked all important dates (her and her husband's birthdays and kids birthdays, holiday stuff we do, anniversaries, etc.) and also wrote a special message to me on every month. It makes me smile when I look at that calendar every morning. My other best friend, Misty, is great at that stuff, too. When I'm sick or feeling down, she'll pop over with some ice cream or a bottle of wine to cheer me up.

8. All of my "neices" and "nephews". They may not be mine by blood, but they are Misty and Ann's children, so that makes them family. All between the ages of 2-13, they are all so different and so wonderful. I love getting to spend time with them and watching them grow up.

9. My grandmother. She's the smallest woman I know and the feistiest. I definitely got my attitude from her. She's got to be the coolest grandmother ever. "I've got a wooden spoon in there with your name on it" is still her favorite saying, even though I'm bigger than her and no longer a toddler. Though, she didn't like it when my brother, two cousins and I all took our pocket knives up to the kitchen on day and carved our names into her wooden spoons. "But now you're not lying, Grandma"

10. My brother when he came home from Iraq. I think that was one of the greatest feelings in the world, knowing he was home safe and away from the danger he faced every day while he was patrolling in Baghdad. I won't be smiling when he goes back, though, probably in February.

11. Listening to Myles grumble when on trash day, I get home from work and go out to check the mail but don't bring the trash can up. I know it's wrong, but I can't help but giggle a little.

12. Watching Myles roll his eyes as I do one of my OCD things. Yes, I have OCD, even on meds for it. I have soooo many little quirks and things I HAVE to do, like straightening pillows, making sure shorts are in color order, having everything in the kitchen a certain way, evening straightening the pillows and blankets on the couches EVERYDAY when I come home from work. The meds help, but they don't take it all away. LOL Makes for a good editor, though. *wink*

There are so many more I could list, but this is already long enough. This time of year always makes me think about what I have and the things and people that make me happy and how lucky I am to have been blessed with each and every one of them.

No comments: