Friday, October 26, 2007

An Exciting Evening

As anyone who knows me knows, my fiance is a MAJOR space buff. Well, more than just a buff, I guess. He's pretty much obsessed with it and is convinced he'll go to the moon before he dies. :) He's a phenomenal pilot and went to Purdue for it. At the time, they only excepted less than 1% of their applicants into the flight program...and he was at the top of the list. Needless to say, his poor vision hindered him from flying in the Air Force like he wanted to and getting into the space program. In the 90s you couldn't just go get lasik. =P So, anyways, as I work in Purdue and handle all the payments for the new buildings going up and all construction projects, I was privy to a great opportunity for him, which is my wedding present to him. THE Neil Armstrong helped raise money for a new engineering building, where the aeronautical and astronomical areas will be held. Alas, good old Neil was a graduate of Purdue. So, it's been almost three years and the building is done. Tonight is a black tie dinner being held in honor of the opening, and eight other astronauts besides Neil Armstrong will be there, as they have all graduated from Purdue. This is a BIG deal, especially for someone like Myles. Needless to say, not just anyone is invited. You've got to be friends with the current or ex-president of the university, or you have to be a HUGE donor. That automatically put me off the list.

But, never to dear, I have connections with the right people and managed to finagle myself an invitation to the $65 a head soiree. And that's where we're going tonight. Yup, my hubby-to-be gets to spend his evening in heaven, sitting in the same room as Neil Armstrong and eight other astronauts. Plus, he gets to see me in a cocktail dress to boot! Trust me, that rarely happens. After this, the next time I wear a dress will be on my wedding day in a year! =) So yeah, he's pretty damn excited and I'm just happy I could do it for him. I'm not looking forward to it, but it's for him and it'll make hime absolutely elated, and that's all that matters.

Now, if I could just get rid of the smell of rotting vermin in my car.

Tes, I said rotting vermin. Decomposing mice bodies. The stench of death. Yeah. Mice got in my car, built a nest, had babies, and then the nest feel into my blower motor. It was making noise so I took it out...yes, I took it out, I'm a major car chick...and found mice bodies. Not very cute ones, either. Cut in half ones. But dammit, even though they are gone, the smell is still there. One of the little suckers must have crawled into the ductwork and died. So now, everytime I turn my car on and the air comes out of the vents, I get to smell rotting vermin. Needless to say, we won't be taking my car tonight. Blech!

No comments: